March 23, 2011

Lily Loves....Jennifer Birkhead Design!

Looking back, I can now see that Jen & I would always have been destined to work together...I mean, have you seen her throw a party??  I first saw Jen's Styling for her daughters Chicken themed party.  It was the first time I noticed how Paper Details finished off the party!  Upon investigation, I learnt that the source of all that gorgeous Paper Design was from no other than the hostess herself...Jen Birkhead!

I was planning my Twin's Christening and the only person who I knew would understand my idea's without asking too many questions (I like to find suppliers who just get it...).  She designed exactly what I wanted within one email...and so she became my preferred supplier of custom invitations!  Since then, Jen has designed my daughters First Communion Invites, became a supplier of Invitations on Shoppe with Lily, designed all Paper Printables for my upcoming Beatrix Potter Easter shoot and her Dinosaur Invitation range inspired a 5th Birthday Party I donated to a gorgeous Autistic boy! Phew!!

My girls with Jen's designs
I am so happy that Jen has agreed to being interviewed.. you are going to love her!!

Jennifer Birkhead captured by Linda at Shoot 4 U

What do you love most about your business?
''It allows me to create, which is a true blessing as this is what makes me complete."
 What makes it so unique?
"There are a lot of very talented people out there doing a similar thing to me but I guess when I set out to design my children's range I wanted them to all have a 'Jennifer Birkhead Design' look about them.  I wanted them to look like they belonged to a suite.  I also didn't want to create 'characters' for each theme as this is something I felt had been done.  Also, by approaching the design differently meant that although they are classed as children's products they could in fact be used by any age, including adults!"
Jen's Fill-it-in Range available at Shoppe with Lily
 What has been your proudest moment?
"My girls make me proud. Being a Mum is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done. As trying as it/they are at times their little smiles and warm hugs completely melt me...My husband makes me proud. He is so capable. We are renovating at the moment and it seems there is nothing he can't do!!
 In my work I'd say my proudest moment has been working with Kate Landers on her Nutcracker Ballet Suite party. This was a lady who's work I adored from a far so to work with her was amazing. Her work receives great and wide acclaim so to be associated with one of projects was a real buzz!!
Styled by Kate Landers Events LLC with Printables from Jennifer Birkhead Design
 However I am proud every time someone says that like my work :)"

What has inspired you this week?
"I am inspired daily by the many other talented people's work I see on Facebook and over the www.However, I find inspiration in the strangest of places!!! I was in a public bathroom over the weekend in a building that is far from modern and fell in love with the pattern of the tiles - the shapes are stored in my mind and will no doubt appear in one of my designs!
 Also, it is bulk rubbish pick up in my area at the moment so people's verges are full of "junk".... however a lot of the time I catch myself driving slowly past thinking "Oooh, I could use that as a prop for a party!!!". There is something about turning someone else's junk into something beautiful that is very satisfying for me! LOL!"
Vintage High Tea styled by Jen and captured by Shoot 4 U

How do you make time for Jennifer Birkhead Designs?
"However I can and however it works, day to day, week to week!!Any other WAHM will agree it is a juggling act!  The beauty of working from home though, is the flexibilty, something that is very valuable when you have little children.I am a night owl which helps, so I work once the children are in bed, however not every night, as I like to be able to actually spend time with husband too ;)I have one child at school so I try and fit in some work while my youngest naps during the day too. But there is always some creative idea floating around in my head!!"
What's in store for 2011?
"Who knows???? I am excited not knowing exactly who will approach me and what they will ask me to work on!One project of my own that I will be launching this year will be my wedding stationery range, something that I have been dying to do!"
Jen's Wedding Range

What Party trends do you love right now?
"I love the idea of favours for children's parties. Something they have had fun creating or playing with at the party. I'm a big believer in making the whole party experience magical for the birthday child and their guests so taking a piece of that magic home with them is wonderful!
I am also loving the effort people are going to to think outside of the box when it comes to parties, there are some AMAZING people out there!!!"
Lily Chic Events Dino Party using Jen's Dino Range

What Party trends are you over right now?
"Play centre parties *runs and ducks for cover* LOL!"

FUN FACTS ABOUT JEN & ME...

Favorite item of clothing?
JEN: Practically - my Lorna Jane gym gear - I'm a group fitness instructor ;)
Not so practically - I just bought a skirt from Forever New - I LOVE that shop!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIL: My Max Azaria Wedding Dress! I bought it off US Ebay for $450 and then I fell pregnant...with the twins!!  Luckily for me, it fit perfectly! I keep looking at it hanging in my wardrobe wondering when I will get a chance to wear it again!!

Gorgeous Jen taken by Shoot 4 U
Favorite Childhood Book?
JEN: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
LIL: I loved The Adventures of the Wishing Tree, Heidi and the Sweet Valley High series! (I used to want to be an identical twin like the characters in the books! It's funny how life turns out!!)

Sweet Valley High Twins
Favorite Song to work out to?
JEN: To work out to - I tend to sing when I instruct so I love something that I know the words to!! It has to be something powerful because that is how I want to feel when I'm working out!
To Design to - Sia :)
LIL: Well...I don't really work out lol! But I do like to go for a run, and when I do I LOVE fast paced music like 'I like that' by Richard Vission & Static.

The Facebook Page you found this week and have to share?
JEN: Just this morning I have been browsing through the gorgeous work on  Planet Penny - VERY cute little needle felt animals!!
LIL: I love the page Maddycakes!  Her unique Owl - o - ween & Artist Parties are so sweet! 

Photo from Planet Penny
Where did you get married and why did you chose the location?
JEN: St Michael the Arch Angel church in West Leederville here in Perth.....because it is a pretty church! Our reception was at Mindarie Marina overlooking the ocean and the yachts...both just felt right. 
HOWEVER I would love to do it all again (with my husband!)... weddings have changed a lot since I got married!!
LIL: We got married at Glendower in Upper Beaconsfield...15 minutes from our house.  It's a German Kartoffel House Restaurant and we chose it for the views and the food! 

Lastly...finish this sentence.....

"When I was little, I always wanted to be..... a hairdresser!"

Baby Shower Styled by Jen and photographed by Shoot 4 U
Thank you Jen for sharing more about you...it's made me like you so much more lol!! (I love Forever New too!! Just ask my husband, lol!) 

Till Next Week...

Lil xx





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved